So, those of you who don't live in Houston may have seen news footage of what's been going on here over the last 24 hours or so. It started raining here a little after 4:30 yesterday afternoon, and within probably 40 minutes or so, our street was flooded--something that I'm not sure has ever happened. Sure, the water has gotten pretty high before, but I'm not sure our street has ever been completely covered by water. The retention ponds in our neighborhood are full, and Cypress Creek, which you would cross over if you came into our neighborhood via Barker Cypress or Telge Rd, has flooded. Other side streets in our area were flooded as well. Mark had to delay going into work until after lunch today because his office building was not accessible; the 290 feeder roads in our area were under water as were all the little side streets leading to his office. It has been completely crazy, but we are extremely fortunate to live in a subdivision with a very effective drainage/retention pond system. Our neighborhood does not flood like so many other neighborhoods. We had quite a bit of rain about a week ago that filled the retention ponds; I'm not sure they had time to completely drain before this new rain came along. Anyway, the kids and I are staying put today. The chance for more storms and rain is still there.
I think the news said the west/northwest sides of town had received around 10-11 inches of rain. Of course, if you've ever lived in Houston, you would expect that old reliable I-10/Beltway intersection has flooded--there was about 10 feet of water there as of this morning, and more was draining into the area. And of course, you've probably also seen footage of the not-so-smart people getting stranded in their vehicles in high water... "Oh yeah, I can make it through that." There's also the other group of not-so-smart individuals who think it's a good idea to play in flooded waters. Apparently they don't realize the sewage system can back up and mix in with the flood waters. Yuck.
Anyway, here is a video of my street taken yesterday evening. Oh, and just in the amount of time I've been sitting here typing up this post, it's started to really come down again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
crazy...it reminds me when we were there and had tropical storm laura i think. Cory couldn't go into work for a couple of days and our apartment building parking lot flooded! stay safe and dry. Praying it doesn't get worse!
quite impressive street! Hope you haven't floated away. We actually miss the rain but it can get annoying when it never stops.
Post a Comment